All children preparing for the 11+ at AE Tuition are put through a core maths programme. This involves children covering the following important topics:
There are seven important reasons for our policy:
- Verbal Reasoning Papers include maths question types and good maths skills help children do much better on these questions.
- Maths develops Logical Reasoning Skills – Reasoning skills are not subject exclusive. Improving mathematical (quantitative) reasoning skills also helps build more advanced verbal and non-verbal reasoning skills.
- The Range of Grammar Options – At the beginning of the tuition process we advise parents to be open-minded about grammar schools they may wish to apply for (some schools require maths).The many possible options will be fully discussed at the parents evening next May.
- Grammar schools require excellent maths – Children going to grammar schools with higher maths skills will be placed in the top sets.
- National Curriculum maths is poor – State primary school children are disadvantaged mathematically (most only achieve level 4 by year 6).
- Buckinghamshire 12+/13+ requires level 5 in maths – If children do not succeed in the 11+ only Buckinghamshire LEA officially allows re-sits at 12 and 13 years. However, children must have achieved level 5 in Maths and English in their SATs exam in May of year 6.
- Core Maths and Extension Maths – On some weeks there will be extra exercises to extend pupils who need more of a challenge. The weekly core maths will cover all that is necessary for the 11+ exams.
VR/NVR Track and VR/NVR + Maths Track – As we approach the exams next year there is the option to follow one of two tracks. This split occurs in May/June next year and is carefully planned to coincide with the options parents may choose to follow and to ensure no child will be disadvantaged.